Hair Extensions 101: A Guide To Gorgeous, Natural-Looking Extensions
Growing out your hair can be time consuming, especially if you’re dying to have gorgeously long hair right now. Fortunately, for those of us with hair that grows at a sloth-like pace, there’s always the fabulous solution of hair extensions. Stefan salons are the experts in hair extensions in Brisbane, so if you’ve ever thought about getting extensions, we have all the answers, advice, and secrets to getting and maintaining gorgeous long hair extensions. We’ve put together this comprehensive guide to hair extensions so you can make informed decisions about your hairstyle choices.
A Few Things You Should Know Before Getting Hair Extensions
Before you go getting hair extensions in Cairns or any of our other Queensland Stefan salons, there are a few things you should know and consider.
- There are different types of hair extensions. While this is an obvious point to those who frequently use extensions, it’s not so apparent to those who’ve never looked into hair extensions before. You can get clip in, tape, or weft extensions, all of which have their pros and cons.
- Always consult a professional. Whether you’re considering clip-in or tape hair extensions in Brisbane, you should always consult a professional before committing to one type of extension. They may offer guidance on more appropriate extensions for your hair type, and they’ll be able to help you achieve your hair goals.
- Your natural hair has to be healthy before extensions are applied. If you have dry, brittle, or damaged hair, you won’t get the incredible results you’d expect from your extensions. Fortunately, there is a solution. With the proper treatments, your hair can be revitalised and made extension-ready. If you’re looking to get hair extensions on the Sunshine Coast, head to a Stefan salon so we can prep your hair for gorgeous, luscious extensions.
- Consider getting 100% Remy Human Hair extensions. When you head into a Stefan salon, you can expect the very best in service and products. That’s why we use 100% Remy Human hair extensions.
Clip, Tape, Or Weft: Which Hair Extension Application Is Best?
While you might think you’re set on one specific type of application, and you’re determined to get tape hair extensions in Cairns, you may want to listen to what your stylist has to say. There are a few different application types, and not every method suits everyone. Here are a few of the most common application types and their pros and cons.
Weft extensions. These extensions are ‘sewed’ onto a person’s natural hair and secured with a bead.
- PROS: Weft extensions are long-lasting and they use extensions of varying thickness, so they look natural. They secure very nicely and don’t damage your natural hair.
- CONS: You need to keep your hair free of sweat and moisture for 48 hours to prevent the extensions from slipping. You’ll also have to avoid all silicone and oil-based products.
Tape extensions. The extensions are pre-taped and sandwiched on either side of your natural hair.
- PROS: When you get tape hair extensions on the Gold Coast, you’re investing in a long-lasting, natural-looking extension. They’re straightforward to apply, and they’re often reusable.
- CONS: These extensions require a fair amount of maintenance, so you can’t just apply them and forget about them. If you neglect your tape-in extensions, you run the risk of them falling out.
Clip-in extensions. These extensions are, as the name suggests, simply clipped onto the hair.
- PROS: If you’re looking for a low-maintenance, simple way to get long hair, clip-in extensions are your answer.
- CONS: Unfortunately, clip-in hair extensions are harder to blend naturally. They’re also a temporary solution, so if you’re after long-lasting results, consider an alternative application method.
How To Keep Your Extensions Looking Incredible
We understand that you’ll want to keep your extensions looking blended and natural between salon visits, so we have a few tips to help you maintain your new style.
- Blowdry and style your extensions. You should avoid letting your extensions air dry, as they can slip or become sticky. While it might be time-consuming to blowdry and style them every day, the results will see your extensions lasting far longer.
- Invest in some high-quality products. Your hair extensions are different hair from your own and therefore won’t respond to your current range of products. We’d recommend investing in some neutral, sulphate-free products to use with your extensions. If you’re getting hair extensions in Maroochydore Stefan, pick up some fantastic extension-friendly products in the salon! Olaplex Bond Maintenance Shampoo No 4, Opalex Bond Maintenance Conditioner No 5, and Kerastase Nutritive Masque Magistral are wonderful products for extensions.
- Put your hair up before you go to bed. Before you go to sleep, tie your hair up neatly. You don’t want your extensions getting pulled or knotted in your sleep, so do everything you can to prevent it.
- Take care of your scalp. Many people neglect their scalp when they have extensions as they’re worried about damaging the applications. However, to avoid irritation, you need to take good care of your scalp to prevent your extensions from getting tangled or dirty. If you’d like some tips on how to clean your scalp gently, ask your Stefan stylist when getting hair extensions in Toowoomba.
Hair Extension Styling Secrets
If you want your hair to look perfect day in, day out, the Stefan team have the tips and tricks to keep you looking incredible.
- Curl or straighten the ends of your natural hair. Over time your hair will naturally separate, making your extensions look more obvious. Between salon visits, you can curl or straighten the ends of your natural hair to blend everything. If you’re struggling to blend, make sure to ask your stylist the next time you’re at Stefan getting hair extensions in Ipswich.
- Be gentle. If you need to brush or detangle your extensions, make sure you’re gentle. Consider using a detangling solution, so you avoid tugging, pulling, or yanking.
- If you choose synthetic extensions, avoid heat. The last thing you want is for your extensions to melt, but if you apply heat-based styling to your synthetic hair extensions, that’s precisely what will happen. If you opt for synthetic hair extensions in Townsville, make sure to consult with your Stefan stylist on the best ways to keep your hair looking fabulous.
Frequently Asked Questions About Hair Extensions
At Stefan, we apply hair extensions every single day, so we hear a lot of questions about them. Here are a few of the most frequently asked questions.
How will hair extensions improve my hair?
- High-quality extensions will add length, volume, highlights, and lowlights. You can also create a balayage effect without colouring the bottom portion of your hair!
Will hair extensions damage my hair?
- While some cheaper extensions may damage your hair, not all extensions are created equal. High-quality, professionally applied extensions won’t damage your hair at all, and your hair should look the same when you remove them. If you’re considering getting hair extensions in Chermside, you can rely on Stefan salons to provide exceptional quality every time.
How long will it take to get a full head of extensions?
- The time spent in the salon will all depend on the type of extension you’re getting, but the process is far more efficient than it once was. If you’re getting hair extensions on the Gold Coast, head to your local Stefan salon, and we’ll get you out the door with stunning extensions in no time.
Are hair extensions uncomfortable?
- While it may take a few days for you to adjust to having more hair, you shouldn’t feel any pain or discomfort. If you’re experiencing any discomfort, pop back into the salon and we’ll have those repositioned.
How long do hair extensions last?
- When correctly applied and well looked after, hair extensions can last up to eight weeks without a salon visit. If you book an appointment every six weeks with your stylist, you can keep your extensions for up to a year. Each visit will see your stylist removing the extensions, cleaning the adhesives, and repositioning them, so they look good as new. Remember, the higher the quality of the extensions, the longer they’ll last. So, if you’re considering getting hair extensions in Redcliffe, head to your local Stefan salon so you can be sure of the quality and professional application.
How long does my hair have to be before I can get extensions?
- You need to have at least 4 inches or 10cm of hair to create a solid foundation for your hair extensions.
How long do I have to wait before washing my hair once I get extensions?
- At Stefan, we recommend waiting 48 hours after your extensions are applied to wash your hair. That gives your extensions plenty of time to settle.
Will my extensions match my hair colour?
- When you choose Stefan for hair extensions in Brisbane, we’ll make sure your extensions look incredible. If you’re not looking for a balayage or ombre look, we’ll make sure your extensions match your hair’s colour and texture perfectly.